I am always so excited when i FINALLY hold new products in my hands after the months that go into the development and sample process! The Hawthorne collection was no exception! As we were preparing to show it all off at the Creativation Show in January, I took time to create some samples … I thought I would share this little mini book that I made for the show, it serioulsy made me so happy! Hawthorne has some unique accessories that allow you to add whatever color foil you would like! (check out the oversized alphabets, the foam words and alphas, the ephemera and the glue pens!) This collection has such a great vibe created by a unique mix of patterns and textures! it is just perfect to combine into a little mini book! I also created a really fun and different type of stamp sets… see below how I used them to build unique looks! Here are the instructions… i hope you have fun making pretty stuff!
Screen Print this shopping list and gather your supplies!
- Cut Paper Eden 8″x12″ making sure not to cut off the tape printed on the stripe. This will be your cover
- Cut other papers to 9 1/4″x8″
Score and Fold
- Score Paper Eden with floral side up at 4 7/8″, 10″, and 11″. Fold along score lines.
- Score other papers in half. Fold.
- If you want to round the corners like I have do that now with a corner rounder.
- Optional, sew along the entire edge of the cover of the book. If you do this, you will want to add washi tape along the flap before sewing. If you are not sewing, you can wait to add washi tape until decorating the cover.
- Arrange the order of your pages on top of the floral pattern on Paper Eden as follows – Midnight, Hawthorne, Hayden, and Velvet
- Use a sewing machine to sew down the middle of the pages or use a long reach stapler to bind the pages to the cover.
- Cut the left over Hayden paper to 5 1/2″x2 1/2″ and cut a “V” notch from one end.
- Adhere the straight end on the left of the flap about 7/8″ from the left fold of the book. See photo below for placement This will keep the flap of the book closed by tucking it under so make sure to only put glue on the left edge of the paper. Or just sew the edge like I did here.
Decorate the Cover
- Now you can decorate your cover! Add a Minc Foiled Jumbo Letter in pink, ephemera, and stickers!
- Decorate the edge of the flap with different washi tapes.
- Stamp to add a sentiment
- Foil a foam word with either the Minc on 0 heat setting or with your finger and pressure.
- Add Word Jumble Stickers
- Decorate the first page with a photo, stickers, and Foam Alphabet Stickers
- Round the corners of your photo before adhering.
Page 2 and 3
- On page 2. Adhere photo.
- Stamp on left over paper with Hawthorne Clear Stamps. Cut a “V” notch from the end and add it to the right side.
- Add washi tape and stickers.
- On page 3. Add photo, stickers, and acetate word
- Add photos and Hawthorne Ephemera. I sewed mine on, but you can just add with adhesive.
- Stamp a circle to create your own custom embellishment
- Use a craft knife to add 2 slits about 1″ apart and 1 1/2″ long, being careful not to cut anything on the opposite side of the paper. Cut a piece of extra paper 3.5″ x 1 1/4″ . Stamp along the strip of paper.
- Slide inside the slot and add ephemera.
What will you use your mini book to document? Your latest ADVENTURE? I can’t wait to see what your finished books will look like! Share photos of your pages and tag me @heidiswapp #hsHawthorne or post to Facebook here so that I can see!
Supplies | Heidi Swapp Hawthorne Collection